TPWW Forums

TPWW Forums (https://www.tpwwforums.com/index.php)
-   entertainment forum (https://www.tpwwforums.com/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   Rate the last movie that you saw for the first time. (https://www.tpwwforums.com/showthread.php?t=58112)

slik 11-27-2019 02:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RP (Post 5302910)
I watched this movie called The Conspiracy.

Pretty damn good.

" Two young filmmakers select a crazed conspiracy theorist as the subject for their next project, but they soon come to believe that the man isn't as delusional as they originally thought. "

I also like that movie :y:

Damian Rey 2.0 11-28-2019 12:23 PM

Frozen II-7/10

Not as good as the first one, and the plot is a little more complicated. There's no true, tangible villain. But it's beautifully animated, the new Elsa song is a great number, and if you've got a kid, like I do, they're going to love it. My biggest issue is the story they're trying to tell is actually an interesting one, but the limited run time forces the story to move at a break neck pace and some of the characters get pushed to the side.

Still, it's an enjoyable movie and credit to Disney for not phoning it in and insulting their target audience with something loud and dumb.

Droford 11-29-2019 01:18 AM

I finally got to John Wick 3. I liked it..but..it definitely feels like it's a sandwich filler movie where a bunch of stuff happens but not much important and it's just leading to #4.

8/10

El Vaquero de Infierno 11-29-2019 04:55 PM

X-Men: Dark Phoenix 6/10

Definitely the weakest of the (most recent) series.

Damian Rey 2.0 11-30-2019 12:24 PM

The Irishman-7/10

Definitely a good, but not great film. It falls short of Goodfellas, and my personal Scorsese fave, the Departed, but the performances here are captivating. 3 Hollywood legends in top form help move a film where timelines can get foggy and characters get lost in the shuffle due having so many to keep up with.

Lock Jaw 12-01-2019 04:15 PM

Knives Out - 9/10 was really fun. Loses a point for Daniel Craig's southern accent

Seanny One Ball 12-01-2019 04:18 PM

I'm currently watching Altered States.
So far it could go either way, William Hurt is fantastic but I'm not sure about Blair Brown at all. Nobody converses like that, not even a scientist. I feel like The GilmoreGirls ripped this speech pattern off and turned it into a whole show.

Seanny One Ball 12-01-2019 04:21 PM

The actual representation of other scientists in day to day conversation is very well done though. Bob Balaban and William Hurt look and sound like the people my folks used to have round for parties when I was growing up. A touch of pretention surrounds their intelligence.

Seanny One Ball 12-01-2019 05:02 PM

Fuck sake.

I'll have to write a proper review, this is nuts.

Seanny One Ball 12-01-2019 05:20 PM

This film has one of the best lines ever written in it.

"I'm trying to tell you I love you."
"I know that, and I'm trying to tell you this is an all bets are off kind of thing."

Seanny One Ball 12-01-2019 11:37 PM

Altered States - 3/4

A 1980's psychological acid science fiction/horror which delves wonderfully into some mysterious, unnerving visual horror. The story is pretty basic, a scientist decides to become his own test subject in his investigations into psychoactive substances and sensory deprivation similar to the real life experiments done in the 60's by various controversial scientists and hallucinogen advocates. After a progression of increasingly terrifying and realistic trips the scientist begins to experience tangible, physical reactions.

William Hurt and Charles Haid steal the show here as two colleagues with extremely opposing philosophies and outlooks towards this research. Bob Balaban and Blair Brown provide grounding support to the extremes of Hurt and Haid with strong if not spectacular or particularly taxing performances.
The dialogue flits between witty and heavily pretentious with the sort of abandon that a real conversation might, despite there being several instances early on of very pointed and almost angeringly unrealistic "philosophy spreading". It's fancy exposition and it's done early on in a way that you can forgive, however it does make me wonder(especially after reading up on this) is perhaps the director Ken Russell decided to trim the most infuriatingly out-of-touch lines just to streamline an already dialogue heavy film.
The troubled production history sounds worthy of a documentary, however the result is a film with enduring relevance as the mysteries of the human mind are as intriguing today as they were forty years ago - and for that matter so is Bob Balaban's seemingly ageless face. I say ageless... he has looked 60 for his entire life.

The technical visual effects and practical special effects are of a high standard for a film made in 1980 and despite containing moments that on paper must surely have seemed utterly absurd, it leaves you with genuine primal fear in a couple of very well executed moments.
And while all of this is good and of a high standard, I feel that the audio work in the film is of a superior standard to anything besides the lead performance.

I very much enjoyed this film but I feel that it is a step below classic as there needed to be more respite from the breathless, fast paced and annoyingly regular protracted speeches and exchanges.
I wanted more visuals and this is not a film that skimps on the visuals.

Seanny One Ball 12-01-2019 11:51 PM

I'm really surprised Ken Russell once made a good film.

Everything else I've seen of his was so dreadful it had to be turned off.

ClockShot 12-03-2019 04:07 PM

Motherless Brooklyn - 4/5

Not bad, Ed Norton. Not bad at all.

Seanny One Ball 12-03-2019 08:01 PM

Ed Norton is a treasure and it's a bit of a disgrace that he has been continually overlooked because of his bad reputation for dominating the creative side of the films he's in.

The man is a genius of his trade.

Helmsphere 12-03-2019 08:13 PM

The Peanut Butter Falcon.

8.5/10

God Damn It, I should never give anything with Shia Lebouif in it, This high of a score but it won me over.

If you're asking me if you should watch it, then just listen to the Star and

JUST DO IT!

Frank Drebin 12-03-2019 09:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Seanny One Ball (Post 5306322)
Ed Norton is a treasure and it's a bit of a disgrace that he has been continually overlooked because of his bad reputation for dominating the creative side of the films he's in.

The man is a genius of his trade.

Please elaborate on his reputation. Never heard this before.

Seanny One Ball 12-03-2019 10:20 PM

Tony Kaye, the writer/director/creator of American History X hates him because Ed Norton fixed it and made a great film out of it, cutting and reshaping great chunks of the film that Kaye had envisioned.
Tony Kaye then went insane and I dunno if he has worked since. Kaye's version sounds like a real mess if you ever get a chance to read about it.

The Incredible Hulk film, Ed Norton went a bit mad and is possibly the reason it was so incoherent. I remember a lot of shit got thrown his way for his idea that Omar(literally the character of Omar from The Wire) had to be in it. There are apparently a few scenes of Omar that didn't make it.

There are other examples but if you watch Birdman his character is essentially an OTT parody of his reputation. Oddly everyone thinks the main parody is Keaton because of similarities with his career but that only goes so far. Norton in that film is basically playing himself to the Nth degree.

Destor 12-04-2019 02:03 PM

The Irishman - 9/10

the story telling here is truly excellent but the 4th wall is constantly shattered when all the CG industrial light and magic can muster can reshape their faces to appear younger but fails to hide the movements of its aging cast constantly giving it all away. It's this break in the immersion that keeps this from being Scorsese's magnum opus. There are several insrances where a tighter shot would have been preferable to better mask the issue but by using a more pleasing-to-the-eye wide shot is ruined as its all star cast hobbles away.

All in all its a great film, highly reccomend it, but the films goal, backed by a $200 million budget, is ultimately a failure.

RP 12-04-2019 06:54 PM

Paranormal Activity : Ghost Dimension - 5/10

They went hardcore on the special effects mixed with real camera effects. It looked a bit like shit. They had a hot mother and she didnt get naked. They had this huge tittied blonde who was hot as fuck and the tittied didnt come out. There was a good scene where they're watching an old vhs of some girl seeing visions and she's seeing them watch her on video. They should have went with that more in this movie. I like that.

GD 12-05-2019 01:41 AM

Pet Sematary - 1/10

I decided to check out the movie after listening to the audiobook (narrated by Michael C. Hall). It was a bad decision.

Seanny One Ball 12-05-2019 04:09 AM

Lithgow was good.

GD 12-05-2019 04:21 AM

Very restricted too. The whole movie is such a mess.

GD 12-06-2019 07:15 AM

Get Shorty - 7/10

GD 12-07-2019 03:04 AM

Knives Out - 9/10

RP 12-07-2019 12:55 PM

Blindspotting -10/10

One of the best movies i've seen all year. Would have won a Oscar if they had Spike Lee's name attached to it because white people love Spike Lee.

Destor 12-07-2019 02:57 PM

Guru dave doesnt rate movies. Migjt delete all his posts. Undecided

slik 12-08-2019 03:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Seanny One Ball (Post 5306343)
Tony Kaye, the writer/director/creator of American History X hates him because Ed Norton fixed it and made a great film out of it, cutting and reshaping great chunks of the film that Kaye had envisioned.
Tony Kaye then went insane and I dunno if he has worked since. Kaye's version sounds like a real mess if you ever get a chance to read about it.

The Incredible Hulk film, Ed Norton went a bit mad and is possibly the reason it was so incoherent. I remember a lot of shit got thrown his way for his idea that Omar(literally the character of Omar from The Wire) had to be in it. There are apparently a few scenes of Omar that didn't make it.

There are other examples but if you watch Birdman his character is essentially an OTT parody of his reputation. Oddly everyone thinks the main parody is Keaton because of similarities with his career but that only goes so far. Norton in that film is basically playing himself to the Nth degree.

Tony Kaye went on to film Marlon Brando hosting acting classes and the videos to this day are forbidden from release by the Brando estate.

Quote:

Some memories of the event — like the exact address of the warehouse in Hollywood where it took place — are a little hazy. It was, after all, 14 years ago. But nobody who was part of that extraordinary 10-day acting workshop ever will forget a single detail about Marlon Brando's entrance.

About 20 young acting students and a dozen established stars — including Sean Penn, Nick Nolte, Edward James Olmos, Whoopi Goldberg and Harry Dean Stanton — had gathered to learn at the feet of the greatest thespian of the 20th century. He didn't disappoint. When the doors flung open, the 78-year-old Brando appeared wearing a blond wig, blue mascara, a black gown with an orange scarf and a bodice stuffed with gigantic falsies. Waving a single rose in one hand, he sashayed through the warehouse, plunked his 300-pound frame onto a thronelike chair on a makeshift stage and began fussily applying lipstick.

"I am furious! Furious!" Brando told the group in a matronly English accent, launching into an improvised monologue that ended, 10 minutes later, with the actor turning around, lifting his gown and mooning the crowd.

And that, it turned out, would be one of the more decorous moments of "Lying for a Living," the wild 10-day symposium.

If Brando caused a stir showing up in drag, Kaye's opening-day outfit was even crazier: Only months after 9/11, he came dressed as bin Laden, complete with turban and tunic. "[President] Bush had said, 'Don't let [9/11] stop you from being yourself; if [the terrorists] stop you from being yourself, they've won,'" Kaye tells THR. Jon Voight became so upset at one point he stormed out.

You can read more about it here:

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/ne...t-tango-801232

Seanny One Ball 12-08-2019 10:41 AM

That is phenomenal.

ClockShot 12-09-2019 03:04 PM

Knives Out - 4/5

Pretty slick whodunit. I'll agree with everyone else that Daniel Craig could've ditched the accent. Probably would have been better if speaking normally.

GD 12-11-2019 09:23 AM

Marriage Life - 10/10

RP 12-11-2019 10:10 AM

Does the wife fuck a black man in Marriage Life, Guru?

Blue Demon 12-11-2019 04:57 PM

Knives Out - 4.5/5. Yup, Daniel Craig's accent loses half a point. Fun movie overall.

Emperor Smeat 12-12-2019 12:02 AM

300: Rise of Empire - 3 out of 5.

The first 300 film was better than this one.

slik 12-14-2019 01:43 AM

Black Christmas (2019) - 3/10

I could never tell if this film was trying to be a parody or serious commentary on Toxic Masculinity/Woke Culture. It's so over the top on both topics IDK how anyone could tell. In fact, I'm just flat out going to spoil the ending of the movie below, when the killer's identity is revealed:

SPOILER: show

The killer whose been stalking the women is revealed to be an entire fraternity, who got sick of not being able to rape women and women not doing what they said so they got a English teacher to help perform a pagan ritual to make all them develop super strength and replace their blood with black goop. It's basically played up as the killer of women is "all men". Then there is
a big fight scene where women of various sororities beat up all the men who have super strength while Kevin Dunne shakey cam is in effect.

I would say, in general, not more than 3-4 minutes go by at a time without someone mentioning how toxic men are. The acting/plot/really everything is sort of 'bad and cheesy'....so in the sense I enjoy bad films I enjoyed it and had fun but it's also a truly terrible film. The song these women sing at a fraternity karaoke contest about how rape is wrong and the frat guys are evil was kind of funny, with all the men booing really over the top and the women in the audience cheering and saying "you go girl" and things of the sort.

slik 12-14-2019 10:54 PM

Richard Jewell - 7/10

Paul Walter Houser and Kathy Bates give tremendous performances in this. Yves Bélanger gives some really good cinematography too. Where I think the film gets in trouble a bit is playing up the FBI and Media as one-sided villains too much and portraying Jewell at times as so stupid/clueless it took me out of it a bit.

In the end, it's a Clint Eastwood flick and Eastwood is one of those guys who always delivers a certain quality of film, and once again, at age 89, he does that.

Destor 12-15-2019 09:14 PM

Marriage Story - 10/10

Adam Driver is flawless. Phenomenal performance. Film expertly encapsulates divorce. A+.

Frank Drebin 12-15-2019 09:32 PM

Not putting myself through that.

Destor 12-15-2019 09:44 PM

not all good film is fun but on the brightside there is a song;)

Sixx 12-16-2019 04:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Destor (Post 5308517)
Marriage Story - 10/10

Adam Driver is flawless. Phenomenal performance. Film expertly encapsulates divorce. A+.

He can never be flawless with that fucking face.

Seth82 12-17-2019 09:53 AM

Clue - 4/5

such an amazing cast from Tim Curry to Lesley Ann Warren to Christopher Lloyd & more.

Tim Curry as usual is his amazing self as the butler Wadsworth. He was the MVP of the movie.

Seanny One Ball 12-17-2019 12:28 PM

Tim Curry is wheelchair bound and likely not long for this world.

Damian Rey 2.0 12-17-2019 12:30 PM

Was watching Home Alone 2 with my brother, who told me the same about Curry. Sad.

Destor 12-18-2019 01:22 AM

His stroke was like 6 years ago. He's since done a lot o f voice work. Unless somethings happened in the past few days his health in fine...?

Seanny One Ball 12-18-2019 01:53 AM

He doesn't look good though.
I mean, find a recent picture and tell me he has five years left in him.

He's in his 70's anyway.

Sixx 12-18-2019 01:57 AM

I just checked out his pic. He had a stroke?

His face looks that way.

Seanny One Ball 12-18-2019 02:12 AM

Yeah he had a bad one in 2012

GD 12-19-2019 10:17 AM

Midsommar - 9/10

Simple Fan 12-19-2019 11:04 AM

Joker 9/10. Great movie I was hoping for a bit more violence though.

Destor 12-19-2019 11:54 PM

Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker- 7/10

pacing issue plague the film and keep it from being satisfying. Extremely busy film and due to that nothing has the weight it should. Theres a lot to like here tho. Poe finally feels like a fleshed out person id want to go on adventures with. The conclusion to the major arcs are mostly satisfying. Its the technical failings of the writing that hold the film back

Destor 12-20-2019 01:58 AM

Extremely wicked, shockingly evil and vile- 7/10

Seanny One Ball 12-20-2019 12:55 PM

I've been debating watching that.
I still think the Ted Bundy film from 2002 is an underrated film. Sure it almost turns into a pitch black comedy at points but I doubt anyone will ever find an actor that looks as much like the real Ted Bundy and who is willing to throw caution to the wind like that.

Simple Fan 12-21-2019 08:11 PM

Rise of Skywalker 7/10

slik 12-22-2019 01:01 AM

CATS - 1/10

Sadly, CATS is not The Room 'so bad it's good, bad'.

Nearly plotless, weirdly hypersexual and asexual at the same time, dystopian, antromorphic, off-key, incoherently strange disaster, where every choice made onscreen is the wrong one. For about two minutes I thought the critics might be wrong and the tone/production design were interesting. Fifteen minutes into the movie I knew it would be the weirdest film of 2019.

CATS has The Razzies in the bag. It's never boring, I'll give it that.

Destor 12-22-2019 01:08 AM

Sounds exactly like the play (awful)

slik 12-22-2019 01:34 AM

I have no clue why this is one of the most successful musicals on Broadway of all-time. It doesn't really have a plot, and what little plot it does have never explains any of it. The music, minus 'Memory' isn't memorable or good. I actually thought Memory was outdone by the new song added to the movie, 'Beautiful Ghosts'. It was more interesting to listen to (and it doesn't help Jennifer Hudson oversings everything and has constant snot hanging out of her nose - CGI snot or real, no clue - but good lord it's distracting).

Destor 12-22-2019 02:16 AM

The play, i think, succeeded because it was a visual spectical tourist could go see. Like a mindless vegas show but for new york. It was never good and when i heard they were bringing it to the screen my immediate reaction was "are they going to write a plot?"

...and then i saw the trailer and realised they were going to try and sell the visual spectical...big oof

GD 12-23-2019 08:48 AM

Ghost World - 8/10

GD 12-27-2019 09:06 AM

A Hologram For The King - 7/10

Damian Rey 2.0 12-30-2019 10:33 PM

Star Wars Episode IX: The Rise of Skywalker-6/10

Meh. Big meh. Felt like a jumbled, over stuffed mess racing to get to its ending. The Big reveal that ties Rey intothe heart of the Skywalker saga is admittedly lame and is a complete u-turn from the overall theme of the second film.

Palpatine being back never tried to make sense or explain itself. Kylo Ren just kinda happens with no build or gusto to his arc coming to a finish, Leia was useless, and was more of a hindrance to the story by being forced into it.

It didn't feel like it retconned everything from TLJ, but it did feel like a conscious change in tone and direction and because they chose a completely different direction, instead of building off the last film, this one feels disjointed and not like a sequel at all.

Lock Jaw 12-31-2019 01:18 AM

Parasite - 8.5/10

Was P good.....

Lock Jaw 12-31-2019 01:19 AM

Men in Black: International - 3/10

Was P bad.....

GD 12-31-2019 02:05 AM

Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker - 5/10

SlickyTrickyDamon 12-31-2019 09:35 PM

Rise of Skywalker- 8/10

OssMan 01-01-2020 11:31 PM

Watched some movie called Jelleyfish Eyes... weird Asf... japanese augmented reality shit... mad fuckin weird

Cool music tho...

Seanny One Ball 01-02-2020 01:21 AM

Please watch The Calamari Wrestler and tell me what you think of it.

Seth82 01-02-2020 10:59 PM

Oh God - 8/10.

George Burns and John Denver were a great fun duo in this film.

I hadn't watched it in years. it was one of my favorites as a kid.

GD 01-03-2020 12:55 AM

The Farewell - 9/10

Ready Or Not - 7/10 (wondering if this is Slik Certified Fresh)

slik 01-03-2020 01:12 AM

I did enjoy Ready or Not!

Quote:

Originally Posted by Slik (Post 5279514)
Ready Or Not - 8/10

This is a very fun horror movie. Loaded with dark humor and good scenes, a strong performance from the lead actress too.

Damian Rey 2.0 01-03-2020 09:05 PM

Knives Out-10/10

God I fucking loved this movie. The performances are so great. Stellar cast making themselves ridiculously worthy of your hate. Ana de Armas as a sweet, good hearted nursecaught up in an impossible situation, is so damn likeable. And the end twist was great even if a little obvious.

Also, i loved Daniel Craig as the overly theatrical southern PI.

PapaGeorgio 01-03-2020 10:19 PM

Border 3.5/5 - The subtitles I had for the movie were a bit trash at times, but the film was great enough I didn't even need them to be good. I really enjoyed the vibe and turns this movie had. Can't stop thinking about that penis.

Chained for Life 3/5 - Technically as a movie, I felt it had some flaws but overall I enjoyed the layers of movies within a movie. Adam Pearson was great in this, I think he'd be hilarious in something with a The Office UK Vibe to it.

Triple A 01-04-2020 01:35 AM

Uncut Gems - 10/10

Amazing. My favorite movie of the year. Very anxiety-inducing throughout. Felt "on the edge of my seat" for the entire movie and was freaking "amped up" afterwards... S0 good

The musical score was also incredible at adding to the uneasy feeling throughout

Damian Rey 2.0 01-04-2020 12:02 PM

My brother had the same anxiety inducing comments about watching it. Prob gonna check it out soon.

slik 01-05-2020 12:34 AM

The Grudge (2020) - 6/10

Predictable and slow at times, but not the worst.

Triple A 01-10-2020 01:07 AM

Parasite (2019) - 10/10

Freaking great...

Fignuts 01-10-2020 01:40 AM

https://i.imgur.com/xX5ckdU.png

GD 01-10-2020 01:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fignuts (Post 5313537)

It's disheartening that you think that Schindler's List is pro-nazi propaganda. Sad.

Fignuts 01-10-2020 02:05 AM

https://i.imgur.com/223Zjkl.png

Destor 01-10-2020 11:05 AM

Aladdon (2019: ) 3/10

Lock Jaw 01-10-2020 11:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Destor (Post 5313569)
Aladdon (2019: ) 3/10

Aladdon? Is that like the cheap black market remake of the remake?

Helmsphere 01-10-2020 09:55 PM

Ready or not - 8/10

Destor 01-11-2020 01:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lock Jaw (Post 5313570)
Aladdon? Is that like the cheap black market remake of the remake?

Sorry its Aladdong. Its the porn remake of the remake

Destor 01-11-2020 01:11 AM

Coulda done without the magic carpet ride

Seanny One Ball 01-11-2020 01:38 AM

I haven't watched a new film for ages. I need to get back at it.

Lock Jaw 01-11-2020 05:34 PM

1917 - 7/10

Was pretty alright. Thought that the single take thing was going to lead to a lot of "tension", and it did at times.... but at others it was just like "I get the point get on with it". Also distracted me a bit via always looking out for where they hid the cuts.

slik 01-11-2020 11:31 PM

Underwater - 7.5/10

Stylish - but average - flick, would recommend streaming one day since it's a breezy 90 minutes. Not sure why it wasn't advertised this was a very HP Lovecraft film since it really is. Alien meets Lovecraft meets the Ocean meets K-Stew.

Cthulhu is the big bad of the film in all his angry glory

Triple A 01-13-2020 05:06 AM

Mandy (2018) - 7/10

Obviously very influenced by David Lynch movies... but not as good or strange or funny. Very very cool visually and some sweet specific parts, but found myself bored for a chunk of it and the story was pretty standard. Would have been better if it was like 30 mins shorter.

Hereditary (2018) - 6/10

Was fine... I liked it but not that much. Maybe it was overhyped to me. The story felt pretty standard again, but I did like the twist on it. Felt bored for a lot of it though... I don't really like horror movies...

Get Out (2017) - 6/10

Same as above, maybe my expectations were too high. Felt like a pretty average/standard movie to me and "nothing special." Even without the hype, I would have probably given it the same rating... Was "alright" / "pretty good."

rez 01-13-2020 10:06 AM

Aladdin (live action)

I liked it. 8/10

El Vaquero de Infierno 01-17-2020 04:57 PM

The Grey 6.5/10

Standard Liam Neeson film.

Black Widow 01-17-2020 10:39 PM

Bad Boys for Life.

Pretty fun but if you are a pretentious movie snob don't see it just so you can bitch.

slik 01-18-2020 02:17 AM

Weathering With You - 9/10

Really great animated film. Nice story, gorgeous animation. Sort of a modern day fable/romance. Would recommend.

OssMan 01-18-2020 10:10 PM

Samurai Cop

funny bad movie... watched with some friends... funny enough

saw Arrival... liked it... friend was saying it was "life affirming"... agree it was powerful... all these ppl kept telling me i would like it cus its about language and stuff... guess they were right, took me long enough

do Youtube documentaries count for this thread... i watched The Platform Master about that guy Ulillillia, that guy who has that mad weird voice and spends 2000+ hours playing Disgaea and Bubsy 3D... interesting... slow... weird

also Fighting in the Age of Loneliness... not that into MMA but very cool seeing why it is popular... history... sad

Triple A 01-19-2020 01:50 AM

Fighting in the Age of Loneliness was really good...

rez 01-19-2020 08:39 PM

I watched Togo on Disney+ last night. Not gonna lie..I teared up. 10/10

Fuck Balto

ClockShot 01-27-2020 06:27 PM

1917 - 4/5

Someday, Dean-Charles Chapman is going to survive to the end of a TV series or movie. Someday.

Seanny One Ball 01-28-2020 01:36 PM

Enemies Closer - 2.5/4

"Jean Claude Van Damme goes mad in the woods" would be a fine alternative title for this bafflingly put together but fun and enjoyable action film. It's also a pretty spot on synopsis of the film itself.
Okay, lets count the ways in which this film turned my expectations on their head and surprised me with some genuinely ballsy decisions even for a B Movie:
-Tom Everett Scott plays a Park Ranger that is secretly a badass former soldier or marine or something. If you know Tom Everett Scott then this is the ultimate in playing against established type. Well, at least until...
-Orlando Jones appears as an antagonist then turns into a protagonist and doesn't supply one laugh in the entire film. Again playing a secret badass but this time not an army one, because he's a black comedian he gets to be an ex convict who isn't funny. He appears to be even better than Tom Everett Scott's guy is at fighting, so that's good because they end up fighting against a whole gang!
-Jean Claude Van Damme takes a sharp heel turn very early into the film and immediately begins destroying people and things then hitting some surprisingly classic one-liners. This wouldn't be unusual for James Bond but Jean Claude Van Damme is traditionally lacking in charisma despite his hick kicks. However the unhinged mania in his face when he does it is just magic and I can't stress that enough. Jean Claude Van Damme can be hilarious now that he's older and wiser, especially when he gets the right material and direction. In this fairly violent film he is put to good use doing lots of action spots and firing off zingers and insanity like he's been coked up and hasn't been to bed for a week. Of course they surround him with a gang of incompetents which makes his ability much more obvious and gives his personality a chance to pop out for a change.
-There's some pretty hilarious stuff involving a traitorous woman and the way it is dealt with cracked me up, especially given the current social climate and opinions with regards to beating women rounds the face(as equals).

I can't say it's a groundbreaking film, nor can I say that it's as much fun as that dancing scene in Kickboxer but it has it's charm and it made 80 minutes disappear from my lifetime with the greatest of ease. It appears that this film was one of the few involved in the Van Damme renaissance from a few years ago so I will have to get involved in the Kickboxer sequels and that film he made about being himself in Belgium because I can dig it when he's actually acting.

Helmsphere 01-28-2020 02:04 PM

Seanny shouldn't you be watching Stargate?

Seanny One Ball 01-28-2020 02:21 PM

I downloaded it and watched it that night. I thought I had posted saying as much but apparently not.

It was alright, Jay Davidson and James Spader were the best things about it but Kurt Russell was woefully miscast. I think they overdid the flat top army hairdo so badly it became a flat top fade.

Then I thought about Kid N Play for ages.

Seanny One Ball 01-28-2020 02:29 PM

I watched "The Night Listener" last night.
I think Slik would enjoy it for Toni Colette's unsettling performance.
Also based on fact.

El Vaquero de Infierno 01-28-2020 04:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Seanny One Ball (Post 5317648)
I downloaded it and watched it that night. I thought I had posted saying as much but apparently not.

It was alright, Jay Davidson and James Spader were the best things about it but Kurt Russell was woefully miscast. I think they overdid the flat top army hairdo so badly it became a flat top fade.

Then I thought about Kid N Play for ages.

The series was better.

Damian Rey 2.0 01-29-2020 11:17 AM

Uncut Gems-9/10

100 mph pacing keeps you on the edge of your seat the entire time. Sandler is frenetic and the movie was seemingly shot with the idea of matching his energy. I didn't expect it to be a commentary on gambling but that's what I took from it. Highly entertaining but also an exhausting watch due to Sandler being so good and high energy with it.