TPWW Forums  

Go Back   TPWW Forums > o f f t o p i c > video games forum

Old Today, 01:21 AM   #1
Destor
I am the cheese

Destor makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Destor makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Destor makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Destor makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Destor makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Destor makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Destor makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Destor makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Destor makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Destor makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Destor makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Destor makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Destor makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)
Indy Games

The time and cost to develop AAA titles has reach a breaking point this gen. Unless AI is to be adopted wide spread there's really no way the industry can continue. As is at least.

In the vacuum is these ever longer and longer windows between major releases we're seeing two major trends emerge. One is the live service model. Release a game mid way into development and sell you updates as you coupled with various other monetization practices. As we've seen when it works (GTA 5/Fortnite) its as big as it gets. When it doesnt (Concord) its a money pit.

The other thing we've seen is the rise of independent gaming. Indy games are filling the release gaps the big studios cant manage any more. On top of that theyre releasing a lot of those mid-tier titles of the past with some real gems sprinkled in from time to time.

In my opinion this is the real future of gaming. The triple A model will implode. The larger fish will continue to eat the mid sizes studios until all the IP are housed at 3 or so mega corps. There, by economic necessity, risk will die and with it all new and interesting ideas will exclusively come from these small indy devs.

So im going to use it to plug indy games im playing.

I bought 2 today. One i havent gotten to yet but will when i finish the other. Beyond Galaxand. Turn based side scrolling rpg with light platforming. Looks really good.

The one i did play today is Bloomtown: Another Story. Sprite based Persona inspired turn based rpg. Its translated from french which sometimes leaves the phrasing a bit off but the story seems really interesting. Very Persona but also strangr things-esque. Its a derivative piece for sure. You also get a Corgi as a party member and if thats not a selling point i don't know what is.

Anyhow ill use this to plug cool indy games whenever i come across them and you should too.

Destor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 01:43 AM   #2
Lock Jaw
is brat

Lock Jaw makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Lock Jaw makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Lock Jaw makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Lock Jaw makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Lock Jaw makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Lock Jaw makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Lock Jaw makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Lock Jaw makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Lock Jaw makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Lock Jaw makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Lock Jaw makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Lock Jaw makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Lock Jaw makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)
I don't think I've ever played an Indiana Jones video game
Lock Jaw is offline   Reply With Quote